Facebook Twitter Our Blog
Anderson and Associates, P.C.

Free Initial Consultation


Schaumburg Child Custody & Move Away Lawyers

Schaumburg Child Relocation attorney

Barrington Attorneys Helping Parents Move with Children After Divorce

A court-approved allocation of parental responsibility agreement is a final statement of where and with whom children of divorced parents will live out their lives. However, people and circumstances change. For family, personal, or business reasons, a divorced parent may need to seek a change in parental responsibility (child custody) in order to move out of state. These reasons can include:

  • An elderly parent may need care.
  • A business transfer may be unavoidable.
  • A remarriage of either parent can bring a new spouse's business into the family.
  • A parent may wish to move closer to family members who can help with childcare.
  • An opportunity may arise to pursue education.

To discuss any issues related to parental responsibility when either parent proposes a significant move that will result in changes to child custody or parenting time schedules, contact a family law attorney at Anderson and Associates, P.C. in Schaumburg.

The Child's Interests Come First

Your child's well being comes first in the eyes of the law. Parental rights are precious. The courts may not give approval for your plan to take your child out of state if you are the primary residential parent. Sensitive negotiations, mediation, or litigation may be necessary to come to an agreement or a decision on how to proceed when you wish to take your child out of state or prevent your ex-spouse from doing so.

Recent Family Law Changes

The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act was recently revised regarding parents moving children around or out of the state, and the terminology for "child custody" was updated. The language of "allocation of parent responsibility" replaced child custody, and there is no longer sole vs. joint custody determinations for family law cases going forward (previous court orders will retain their rulings).

As for moving children in or out of state, any parent that has primary residential custody in Cook, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will Counties can move up to 25 miles away from their old location. Moves can even be across state lines if the parent stays within 25 miles of their previous home. Parents in other Illinois counties can move up to 50 miles away. Anything beyond 50 miles is considered parental relocation and will require court approval and the other parent's consent. The move, of course, must also be in the child's best interest.

Contact our Schaumburg Child Custody Lawyers

Anderson and Associates, P.C., is a well-established family law firm with offices in Schaumburg, Illinois. Our lawyers are strong advocates and knowledgeable counselors. We understand the urgency that one or both parents may face when distance threatens parental bonds. While relocation or move away cases are never easy, our attorneys have successfully represented the interests of many parents in such scenarios.

Contact the law offices of Anderson and Associates, P.C. at 847-995-9999 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Chicago Bar Association DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association
Schaumburg Office
Orland Park Office
Chicago Office
Wheaton Office
Downers Grove Office
Back to Top