Facebook Twitter Our Blog
Anderson and Associates, P.C.

Call Today for a Consultation


Schaumburg College Expenses Divorce Attorney

Palatine College Expenses Following Divorce Attorney

Lawyers Protecting Children's Right to a College Education Following Divorce in Rolling Meadows, IL

Divorce is difficult for everyone involved, and during and after a divorce, it is especially important to make sure that children's needs are provided for. As a parent, you want to put your children first, and this includes not only providing for them financially and giving them a loving home, but also ensuring that they will be successful in the future by obtaining a college education. However, following the financial upheaval of a divorce, the question of how to pay for this education can be a tricky one.

Who Will Pay For College?

In Illinois, a non-custodial parent may be required to pay child support to the custodial parent following divorce. These child support payments cease when a child reaches the age of 18. However, if the child attends post-secondary education, the parents may be required to contribute to the child's college expenses (also known as non-minor support).

The marital settlement agreement in your divorce may specify how much each parent will contribute to their children's college expenses, or it may leave the matter up to the discretion of the court at a later date. When determining how much each parent will contribute, the court will take several factors into account, including:

  • The financial resources and needs of both parents, including retirement savings
  • The child's financial resources, including scholarships, student loans, and any college savings plans created prior to the divorce
  • The standard of living the child would have enjoyed had the parents not divorced
  • The child's academic performance (children must maintain a "C" average)

What Costs Are Included?

Illinois law defines a number of educational expenses that are covered under the parents' contributions, including:

  • Application fees
  • Entrance exams
  • Registration fees
  • Tuition
  • Room and board
  • Transportation
  • Books and supplies
  • Medical expenses, including medical and dental insurance

The court uses the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as a guideline; the tuition, fees, and housing expenses that parents will be required to contribute to will not exceed the amount of these costs at the University of Illinois for the same academic year.

Non-minor support ends when the child reaches the age of 23 (or 25 in extraordinary cases), when the child receives their bachelor's degree, or when they get married.

Providing Security For Your Child's Future

At Anderson and Associates, P.C., we understand the importance of a college education for your children, and our skilled, knowledgeable attorneys can work with you to ensure that they are provided for. With over 30 years of experience in family law, we can ensure that all of your children's needs are met and all of the bases are covered when it comes to determining how both parents will contribute to college expenses. Contact a Schaumburg divorce lawyer at 847-995-9999 today for an initial consultation.

Chicago Bar Association DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association
Schaumburg Office
Orland Park Office
Wheaton Office
Back to Top