Christopher J. Maurer
Christopher J. Maurer is a licensed Illinois attorney with ten years of experience who has focused his practice in the area of family law including divorce issues (contested and uncontested divorces, high-stakes litigation, complex financial and business divorces), adoptions and paternity cases, preparation of prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements, custody disputes, establishing visitation schedules, child support calculation and alimony / maintenance determination, grandparent rights, disputes regarding removing children from Illinois, and enforcing court orders. Mr. Maurer is also trained and qualified to act as Guardian ad Litem, Child's Representative, and Attorney for the Child in the Sixteenth and Eighteenth Judicial Circuits of Illinois.
In addition to being a seasoned trial court litigator, Mr. Maurer has substantial appellate litigation experience, having won several cases on appeal before the Illinois Appellate Court, one of which was sent back to the trial court, resulting in a $1.7 million verdict in favor of the Appellant upon retrial.
Mr. Maurer also assists clients in developing estate plans (wills, trusts, powers of attorney for health care, powers of attorney for property) to ensure that their assets are protected during their lifetimes and after their deaths. Mr. Maurer regularly utilizes estate planning tools to meet his clients' goals of avoiding probate, reducing or avoiding estate taxes, nominating guardians of children, and protecting assets from creditors. Mr. Maurer also represents administrators, executors, heirs and guardians in various guardianship and probate proceedings, including complex, multi-million dollar estates.
Mr. Maurer is a lifelong resident of the northwest suburbs of Chicago. He practices primarily from Anderson & Associates' Wheaton office and handles cases in DuPage County, Cook County, Kane County, and the other collar counties.
In 1994, Mr. Maurer received his Bachelor of Science degree from the College of Communications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he also did work for Habitat for Humanity, the Daily Illini Newspaper, and WPGU Radio. Mr. Maurer earned his Juris Doctorate from Loyola University of Chicago's College of Law in 1997, where he was an active member of the College's International Law Program and Organization.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Allocation of Parental Responsibility (Child Custody)
- Parenting Time (Visitation)
- Child Support
- Maintenance / Alimony
- Orders of Protection and Restraining Orders
- Estate Planning and Administration
- Divorce Trusts
- Powers of Attorney
- Probate Administrations
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate - 1997
- Honors: Member, International Law Program and Organization
- College of Communications, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- Bachelor of Science - 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association, Member
- "Violent Video Games, the First Amendment, and Child Custody," DCBA Brief, Vol. 27 (2014-15).
- "The Jack of All Trades," DCBA Brief, Vol. 27 (2014-15).