Lisa M. Giese
Lisa M. Giese is a licensed attorney specializing in domestic relations and bankruptcy matters in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Will and surrounding collar counties. Within the field of family law, Ms. Giese has handled a variety of uncontested and contested cases including pre-decree and post-decree divorce, child support enforcement, paternity and visitation matters, custody and removal cases, DCFS appeals, orders of protection, and disabled adult guardianships. Ms. Giese is a zealous advocate for her clients and knows when a case should be settled and when it requires aggressive representation and litigation.
As a trained Guardian ad Litem with the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Court, Ms. Giese has been appointed by the Court on numerous occasions to serve in that capacity and to make recommendations relating to custody, parenting time, and removal in accordance with the best interests of the minor children. Ms. Giese has also served many years as a volunteer for the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program in Cook and DuPage County assisting the Court in complex abuse and neglect cases within the juvenile court system. While in law school, Ms. Giese focused her studies in family law and earned her Certificate in Child and Family Law upon graduation. Ms. Giese is an active member of the DuPage County Bar Association and Illinois State Bar Association and serves as a director for the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers.
Ms. Giese is also an experienced debtor’s rights attorney and is a regular advocate in bankruptcy, small claims and foreclosure court for families suffering due to the current economic state. Ms. Giese helps homeowners analyze their current situation and determine whether a loan modification or bankruptcy can help them avoid losing their home in foreclosure. Ms. Giese is also experienced in negotiating unsecured debts, including credit card, medical and IRS debt.
Ms. Giese’s experience with bankruptcy and foreclosure regularly aids her in her practice of family law, where the two fields often become intertwined. If your current or ex-spouse has filed bankruptcy while you are in the midst of a pre or post-decree divorce case, or you yourself are considering filing, contact Ms. Giese immediately to determine what your rights and obligations are.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Child & Spousal Support
- Domestic Violence/Orders of Protection
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Creditor Negotiations including IRS Negotiations
- DCFS Investigations and Appeals
- Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 2009
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate - 2008
- Honors: Certificate in Child and Family Law
- Michigan State University, James Madison College
- Bachelor of Arts - 2004
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Theory and Social Relations
- 'Til Death Benefit do us Part: The Effect of Marital Settlement Agreements on Beneficiary Designations, DCBA Brief, 2010
- Substitution of Judge as a Matter of Right and the Application in Post-Judgment Proceedings: A Domestic Relations Perspective, DCBA Brief, 2012
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star Distinction, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers, Director